Friday, February 6, 2009

My first quilt, in a Sew-A-Long

I've never finished a quilt before. I started one when I was a kid, but I was way too impatient to sew nine-patch squares by hand. I tried my hand at a postage stamp quilt with all different fabrics gathered from lots of people, but I only made an ugly 1 by 1.5 foot rectangle of crooked chaos.

I came across Sew, Mama, Sew!'s doll quilt sew-a-long. It was so cute and simple looking I just really wanted to try it. A lot of the comments are people saying "I've never made a quilt before but I'm going to try this!" I got all pumped up about it and made my front in one sitting. I like the combo of wood patterns and green I used; I wasn't sure it would turn out right but it totally did :D


I'm proud of the back. I only mis-pressed one seam.
In the background you can see the much more detailed quilt my grandpa's wife/step-grandma/Louise made me for high school graduation. She's the one who taught me to knit and tried to teach me to make a quilt when I was small.

The next step in the sew-a-long is to embellish the quilt and baste it together. I'm not sure how I'm going to decorate it. It would be really cute if I embroidered a leaf on the plain squares, but I'm trying to think of something simpler, too. This is going to be too little to use for real so I don't want to make it too fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment